Thursday 29 October 2009

Tangmere and Goodwood





Time off is a rarity in my profession so grabbing a few hours for a drive around Sussex with my uncle was something I'd really been looking forward to. Since I had a keen and knowledgeable historian in the passenger seat we decided to call in at Tangmere Aviation Museum, just outside of Chichester. There are always a selection of decommissioned jets outside of the hangars, and today we saw some beauties. The technicians were busy with maintenance work and we were able to get a close look at some familiar aircraft. I spent much of my formative years on Air Force bases around the world and a family member is currently flying fast jets for the RAF.

Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit is five minutes away from Tangmere so we stopped off for some lunch - a track day provided great entertainment and a visual feast of classic cars. You can probably guess which one is my favourite. The driver very kindly suggested I locate a crash helmet and take a few laps with him - talk about being tempted. As usual the best offers happen when one has the least time to enjoy them, and sadly on this occasion I had to dash back to my office. But not before I'd grabbed some shots of what is undoubtedly a stunning car.















See our main site here.
 

2 comments:

  1. I love the museum at Tangmere.I can spend hours looking at the displays, both the large ones like the world speed record Hunter, and the cases full of relics of heroic past lives.

    If you ever are in the area again you might like to visit the grave of American Bentley boy, Olympian, and Hurricane pilot Billy Fiske in nearbye Boxgrove Priory.

    SS7

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SS7, I know what you mean, it's a fascinating place, hard to imagine what their (often short) lives must have been like. One of my relatives (a spitfire pilot) is buried at the little church close to the airfield. I haven't been to Boxgrove so I will definitely make the visit.

    ReplyDelete