Monday 28 September 2009

Weald and Downland Open Air Museum


This is the rather primitive dwelling of the 'charcoal burner'. Not a job which appeals to me ...






The Weald and Downland Museum, at Singleton in West Sussex is an extraordinary and magical place. Set high up on the South Downs, the drive to the museum is glorious, passing Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit and Goodwood Racecourse, climbing steeply until we reached our destination in a small valley. It has become a closely guarded haven of buildings - the traditional homes and workplaces of villages which have been rescued from destruction and brought to Singleton to be cherished and preserved for generations to come. The buildings range from the tiny dwellings of the late 13th century, to 19th century examples from the Victorian era. The museum is a charity and is entirely dependent upon visitor income, voluntary effort and its Friends group. It was gratifying to see all the car parks completely full when we arrived just after lunch, as Sussex residents we are proud to have such a remarkable heritage site in our county. And I was proud to photograph it - with all the associated difficulties of very low light (the interiors were literally dark, I couldn't even see my camera at times) and cramped quarters. Supplementary light and a tripod were no-gos for this one, so I had to employ my best slow-shutter-hand-holding technique. Noise is a given in these situations, but I think I'm unusual in that I don't mind a bit of noise, in fact I feel it adds to the atmosphere of some of the shots (it's also very rare for me to sharpen any of my images). A wide aperture is a must in dim conditions (especially when the camera is unsupported) so I also had to forgo some depth of field. I hope the shots give you an idea of how life must have been in centuries gone by, and how very lucky we are to have all the comforts we enjoy in the 21st Century. Find the museum here.

A Victorian Toll Cottage:

This is how its inhabitants would have lived:

























Find our main site here.

5 comments:

  1. Great pictures Lindsay. I especially like the interior shots of the old buidlings. They are really atmospheric and somehow draw you right into them, giving you a real sense of what life must have been like inside them in bygone times. John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant photography - I haven't enjoyed anything like this in a long long time. Speaking of time, the atmosphere in some of these photographs creates a feeling of actually being there, in the past, in the presence of people long gone - friendly ghosts, happy and hard times. The photographs take me there.
    Wonderful - more please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the kind words, much appreciated. Photography can be a lonely pursuit, but it keeps us going when we know our work gives some pleasure. Interestingly, you are spot on about the atmosphere being calm and gentle, it's an uplifting place. I've worked in other locations where my hair has been standing on end by the time I leave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What can I say Lindsay just awesome!! Not heard of the Weald and Downland Museum before but your shots have given me the urge to go and explore. What is your most used lens, to my eye it could be a prime 50.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Photography inside the buildings is amazing, taking into account that no lighting is allowed, you have made the rooms and contents come to life, imagine working in that kitchen. Sheets and quilts carefully hand sewn. Fruit and vegetables on a hand carved platter, absolutely fastinating. Just think of the work involved in keeping the horses tack clean, which again, you photographed perfectly. With such skill and patience your photos are an absolute joy to look at over and over again.

    ReplyDelete